Monday 9 May 2011

Mixed Berry Muffins


I had some frozen mixed berries to use up so decided to make some muffins.  I halved a recipe for 12 muffins, which actually made 8 large muffins!  I'll post the recipe for 8, so you can double it if you want to make more.  These are buttermilk muffins, the buttermilk makes the muffins really light and fluffy.  If you don't have any, you can substitute it with milk and add about a tablespoon of lemon juice to it, which is what I did as this recipe calls for lemon rind anyway.

Ingredients
200g plain flour
88g caster sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
finely grated rind of 1 lemon (use 1/2 if you don't want it too lemony)
1/4 tsp salt
142ml buttermilk
1 egg
42g butter, melted
150g fresh or frozen berries

I started by preheating the oven to gas 6 and lining my muffin tin.  I then combined the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon rind and salt.  In a seperate bowl I whisked together the buttermilk, egg and butter.  Then I added the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stirred gently until incorporated.  It is important you mix it til it's only just come together otherwise your muffins will come out heavy.  I then added the frozen berries, filled the muffin cases and placed in the oven.  The recipe suggested they would take 25 minutes, however mine took about 30.




The muffins tasted deeelicious and I will definately be making another batch with the rest of my frozen berries.  I will also try adapting this recipe for other muffins as they produced such a nice texture.


No comments:

Post a Comment