Monday 2 May 2011

Carrot Cake Slices

One of my friends told me she had never tried carrot cake before, so I decided to make her some! This recipe is so easy, and I will definately be making it again in the future.

Ingredients
175g light muscovado sugar
175ml sunflower oil
3 large eggs
140g grated carrot
100g raisins
grated zest of 1 orange
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg (I didn't have any so used mixed spices)

The oven needs to be preheated to gas mark 4, then I lined a 9" square tin, though the recipe says 7" which doesn't make sense as it fitted exactly into a 9" and came out looking like the picture.


Mix the sugar oil and eggs together in one bowl and mix, then stir in the raisins, orange rind and carrot.  Mix the flour, bicarb and spices together, and then add to the wet mixture and stir. 
Then it's ready to go into the over for 40-45 minutes.



For icing I mixed icing sugar with the orange juice, I never follow quantities for icing, just keep going until it looks like enough.  Then drizzled it over the top as you can see in the pic.  I know carrot cake usually has a cream cheese frosting but I don't really like it and it's just extra fat, but it would go well with this cake if you wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment